Knoqnoq Forum: Everything You Want to Discuss, Most Discussed in India
Search
Reply: 0

The Saudi Super League's Spending Spree Ends: How Long Can the Money Last?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Novice on the road

Credits
Post time 8-9-2023 14:12:15 | Show all posts |Read mode
"In the early hours, the transfer window for the Saudi Super League officially closed. Regarding the sudden rise of the Saudi Super League, I have a few thoughts to share. My perspective has always been that simply spending money cannot create football giants. However, the rise of the Saudi Super League has exceeded the expectations of many, including myself, suggesting it may not be just a passing trend.

When we talk about the rise of the Saudi Super League, it's hard not to draw comparisons to the Chinese Super League, which initially attracted players with high salaries. But due to subsequent investment and management challenges, the Chinese Super League didn't attract as many star players in the long run. Therefore, the rise of the Saudi Super League often invites comparisons with the Chinese Super League, with some speculating that its ultimate fate may be similar.

As for whether the Saudi Super League will indeed follow a path similar to the Chinese Super League, that's a discussion for another time. These things are hard to predict, and I'll share my perspective later. Initially, Saudi Arabia wanted to establish a prominent football league after seeing the success and global influence of Qatar, a fellow Middle Eastern country, through hosting the World Cup. However, hosting the World Cup consecutively in the same region is unlikely, and the quality of Middle Eastern World Cups has been questioned. So, in the short term, Saudi Arabia does not have the possibility of hosting the World Cup. In this situation, they aimed to raise their influence by hosting their own World Cup.

Their strategy is quite clear: attract well-known players near the end of their careers by offering high salaries. Players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, and Neymar. Despite these players experiencing a decline in their athletic performance, their influence, which younger and mid-career players cannot match, is what Saudi Arabia seeks. This was their primary goal from the outset. Cristiano Ronaldo was the first major player to make the move to the Saudi Super League. Initially, many, including myself, were puzzled by why Ronaldo would join the Saudi league. However, it now seems that Ronaldo made the right move.

Regarding the eventual outcome of the Saudi Super League, it's unrealistic to expect it to maintain its current level of attention in the long term. High salaries are not sustainable over the long run unless the league's revenue-generating capacity improves accordingly. If the league's profitability doesn't keep pace, it won't be long before the Saudi Super League returns to its previous state. However, success can be defined differently for different people. I believe the Saudi Super League may not be interested in maintaining long-term operations; instead, they might aim to sustain influence and visibility for five years. Therefore, during this five-year period, they may continue investing in well-known but aging players. So, we can expect more players to transfer to the Saudi league next year.

The rise of the Saudi Super League will create a new football giant, but this giant is unlikely to last. It is likely that European football will face challenges in the coming years because they will have to compete with Saudi salaries, something European football cannot provide. The people responsible for player transfers in European clubs will have a tough job. However, for those of us who just want to watch exciting football, it's unfortunate that elite players might not continue in European football. Nevertheless, I believe the foundation of football will remain in Europe; it has a solid base, and the Saudi Super League cannot easily replace the status of European football."

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list