Reply: 3

The birth of the sandwich

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-12-2023 10:56:03 | Show all posts |Read mode
The birth of the sandwich originated from a gambler's act of putting fillings between two slices of bread.

Do you know that the sandwich was invented by a gambler at the gambling table? The story of the sandwich dates back to 1762 in England. "Sandwich" was initially the name of a place in England, where there was a notorious gambler named John Montague, the Earl of Sandwich. He spent his days immersed in card games. One day, during a marathon gambling session at a London club that also served steaks, he had no time to eat. Despite being hungry, his insatiable love for gambling made him unwilling to leave the card table when he was on a winning streak. The club, being a steakhouse as well, sent him some grilled meat and cheese. To avoid getting his cards dirty, he placed the fillings between two slices of bread, allowing him to eat with one hand and hold cards with the other. Thus, the idea of the fourth Earl of Sandwich quickly spread, and everyone began requesting something similar to a sandwich, giving birth to the sandwich.

In 1827, Elizabeth Leslie introduced the sandwich to Americans through her cookbook, changing American eating habits. Subsequently, it altered the eating habits of millions worldwide, including me. When I don't have time to cook, I also spend a minute or two making a sandwich for breakfast or lunch.

Although the progenitor of the sandwich was a gambler, his descendant, the eleventh Earl of Sandwich, had significant business ambitions. He collaborated with Robert Earl, the founder of Planet Hollywood, to open the first "Earl of Sandwich" restaurant in Walt Disney World in Florida. They planned to expand it into a nationwide fast-food chain, with even Times Square in New York on their radar. At the Earl of Sandwich restaurant, they inherited the concept created by the fourth Earl of Sandwich – made to order. Customers can choose their preferred bread, and the chef prepares the fillings, whether it's hot roast beef, melted Cheddar cheese in the bread, or the aromatic applewood-smoked bacon. This concept transforms the sandwich from a cold, pre-made item in the refrigerator to a delicious, high-quality option that busy people can enjoy.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-12-2023 12:31:53 | Show all posts
This is one of my favorite foods.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-12-2023 15:41:34 | Show all posts
Gamblers not only witness wins and losses, understand human nature, experience the ups and downs of life but also create food.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 28-12-2023 15:45:23 | Show all posts
I like sandwiches; in fact, everyone can make them themselves.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list