Homme: T1 defeated us, I think they should also be able to defeat WBG

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-11-2023 10:59:45 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Ritu13 at 22-12-2023 01:38 PM

On November 13th, in the second game of the semi-finals of the 2023 League of Legends World Championship, JDG lost 1-3 to T1. After the match, the Korean media released an interview video with JDG head coach Homme:

Q: JDG unfortunately ended their journey in this year's World Championship. It was a very intense BO5 series. What are your thoughts on the match?

Homme: I think I should have done better in the first and third games. In the fourth game, we lost because I didn't perform well. I should have done better. In the world of wins and losses, the result is everything, and we lost, so I should have done better. It was my fault that we lost the game.

Q: Many people predicted before the match that it would be intense from the beginning, especially in the pick and ban phase. After entering the quarterfinals, there were significant changes in the bot lane meta, with many new champions appearing. T1 is known for being good with 2AD compositions. How did JDG prepare for this match, especially choosing the red side?

Homme: T1 is very good at playing champions that swing the bot lane on the red side. Although we thought T1 would perform well on the blue side as well, we felt that T1's playstyle was more suitable for the red side. We wanted to contest the red side and, if we were on the red side, have the opportunity to counterpick in the top or bot lane. So we decided to release as many OP champions as possible and pick and ban around them. We thought about creating a good situation where the top and bot lanes wouldn't fall behind, and as long as it's a 50-50 in the early game, we could win. That's why we chose the red side. T1 was well-prepared in all aspects from level 1 invades to jungle invasions, and we missed the chance. From my perspective, I should have prepared better in the first game. I didn't prepare well, and we lost the first game very easily.

Q: Which specific aspects were not well-prepared? At the beginning of the interview, you mentioned that the first and third games were particularly unfortunate, and the outcome of the first game had a significant impact on the series. T1 surprised with the pick of Jhin. So, which parts do you regret?

Homme: In the first game, as long as we could go even in the early game, I believe we could have won. Looking at the overall pick and ban phase, our late-game team fights were also good. However, Yuumi is a weak champion in the early game, and I remember the opponent had Thresh, who is strong early. So, we wanted to stabilize the early game, especially around the dragon area. But things didn't go as expected during skirmishes and jungle invasions, which was unfortunate. We anticipated that the opponent would pick Thresh, Ryze, and Yasuo, but we lost to that composition. So, I think we should have put more pressure on those champions. We didn't do that, and that's why we lost the game.

Q: In matches between top-tier teams, there is a natural limit to the number of champions that can be banned. Drafting, gameplay, the momentum of the day can all affect the outcome. From when did you, as the coach, feel that the momentum today was declining? Because momentum is really important.

Homme: I thought to myself, "Losing the first game is possible," but the third game was a situation we must win and could win. Even though the engages of Rell and Azir were threatening, we had a lot of poke abilities to avoid them rushing in to engage. Also, our composition was suitable for counter-engaging. However, the opponent aggressively engaged, and from my perspective, I hoped we could avoid their initiation, but we couldn't. This also indicates that the opponent's draft created a good situation for engaging, and we couldn't avoid it. I should have restrained those champions more. I think it was my fault that it turned out that way.

Q: When two top-tier teams compete, there is a limit to the number of champions that can be banned. The outcome is influenced by the draft, gameplay, and the team's condition on that day. From when did you, as a coach, feel that the team's condition was declining? Because the team's condition is crucial.

Homme: I thought, "Losing the first game is possible," but the third game was a situation we must win and could win. Even though the engages of Rell and Azir were threatening, we had a lot of poke abilities to avoid them rushing in to engage. Also, our composition was suitable for counter-engaging. However, the opponent aggressively engaged, and from my perspective, I hoped we could avoid their initiation, but we couldn't. This also indicates that the opponent's draft created a good situation for engaging, and we couldn't avoid it. I should have restrained those champions more. I think it was my fault that it turned out that way.

Q: I want to ask you a lighthearted question. You mentioned Azir several times. Faker used Azir multiple times today and showed a good performance. Faker was selected as the MVP of this series. From the opponent's perspective, which player do you think was the most threatening today?

Homme: When Rell and Azir engaged together, we didn't handle it well, and the same goes for Rell and Thresh. We failed to avoid their combo skills and follow-up. I gave the opponent these combinations during the draft, and it was my mistake. I think this had a significant impact.

Q: Many people were looking forward to JDG achieving a Grand Slam this year, and these fans must feel regretful. The players and coaching staff have been working hard throughout the year to achieve this goal, and it must be very regrettable. As an outsider, I cannot imagine this emotional journey. So, I would like to ask you about it.

Homme: From the beginning, we went through many difficult situations. The players wanted to win very much and worked harder than anyone else, which is why we won three championships and reached this point. Today, we also wanted to win very much and made a lot of preparations. I am very aware of how hard the players worked. I should have created a better environment for the players to perform well from the beginning, and it's my failure that we lost the match. I hope everyone knows that the players put in a lot of effort to win today's game.

Q: It feels very difficult to predict the results of the World Championship matches.

Homme: (laughs) Yes.

Q: Just looking at the two teams advancing to the finals. Because many people are curious, can you please predict the result of the finals?

Homme: (laughs) T1 defeated us, so I think they should also be able to defeat WBG. If they don't take it lightly and prepare well in the remaining time, T1 should win.

Q: Is it because you felt their strength when facing them today?

Homme: To put it bluntly, it was our mistake. But from T1's perspective, in such a disadvantaged situation, they very sharply found opportunities, and that's why they turned the game around. I think T1

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-11-2023 11:13:24 | Show all posts
WBG won, show it to him.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-11-2023 12:32:07 | Show all posts
Ah, ah, ah, you can't talk like that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-11-2023 12:33:26 | Show all posts
That's how it is, but you can't say it like that. Low emotional intelligence.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-11-2023 12:39:58 | Show all posts
He is a good coach. I hope everything can still be preserved.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-11-2023 12:57:45 | Show all posts
Even if WBG loses, it looks better than your loss.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-11-2023 13:00:48 | Show all posts
Not necessarily, WBG > BLG > GEN > T1.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list