Five Techniques That Texas Hold'em Beginners Often Overlook

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-9-2023 22:12:23 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Indra55 at 22-12-2023 04:53 AM

1. Your image isn't as important as you think it is.
   While I believe that your image does have some value, many players trying to improve their game tend to overvalue it. One thing is for sure; it's worthless against opponents who don't even consider your image. Remember, your image matters when it occasionally influences your opponents to make plays different from their usual patterns, plays that benefit you. Without these deviations, your image is irrelevant because, for them, there is no image. Furthermore, at lower stakes, you'll encounter a lot of recreational poker players who care only about their own hands. This is even more true at these stakes. Many opponents are only concerned with their hole cards. However, as you move up in stakes, more and more poker players are trying to improve their game, so they'll pay more attention to the dynamics at the poker table.

2. Ignoring the size of the pot is a mistake.
   One common mistake many intermediate poker players make is not paying enough attention to the size of the pot. A typical move is to fold when they think they're likely beaten. However, this can be a costly mistake when there's a lot of money in the pot. For instance, if you believe you have a 20% chance of winning the pot, that's a 4:1 odds. If your opponent bets $20 and the pot is $120, you should call. If the pot is only $60, you should fold. Notice that in the first example, you have 6:1 pot odds, while in the second example, you only have 3:1 pot odds. There's a significant difference. Based on my experience, one inevitable result is that if you're uncertain about the action in the previous betting round, you tend to fold. If you're uncertain about the action in the later betting rounds, you tend to call. But be cautious not to become a calling station because of this. Remember, this tactic only applies when you have a reasonable suspicion about your opponents' actions.

3. Playing small pairs in limit Texas Hold'em.
   I've mentioned before that in limit Texas Hold'em, when there are multiple limpers in front of you, there are times when you should raise with small pairs, especially from the button or blind positions. This is because you want to induce others to call more than they usually would on the flop when you hold a small pair. You won't play like this against bad poker players because they'll call anyway. You also don't need to do this against skilled poker players because they won't call with just a high card due to a big pot. This tactic is particularly profitable in the middle stakes.

4. Differences between regular games and tournaments' starting hands.
   Understanding the true value of starting hands when deciding the correct action and considering all possible betting and the number of players in the pot is crucial. Note that in tournaments, especially in no-limit Texas Hold'em tournaments, these parameters are entirely different from regular cash games. This is because multiway pots are less likely, and shoving all-in before the river is more common in tournaments (which affects betting actions). Therefore, some hands you would play in regular games should be folded in tournaments, and vice versa. Furthermore, if you do decide to play a hand in a tournament, your strategy for playing that hand will be entirely different from how you'd play it in a regular game.

5. The difference between playing perfectly and playing well.
   There is a difference between playing perfectly and playing well. Someone who plays well should make more money than someone playing perfectly. Let me explain why. When I say ""playing perfectly,"" I mean a poker player who makes the most appropriate play in every situation without considering additional information. For example, they bet every time they complete a flush, and they also bluff with the correct frequency. In fact, they could tell you exactly how they will play, and you'd have no choice. No matter what strategy you choose, their expectation will be the same. Their perfect play guarantees they'll beat you. However, if someone plays well, they may also consider your tendencies to call or fold. Against opponents who call too much, they may reduce their bluffing frequency. Against opponents who only call with strong hands, they may bluff more often when the pot is large. If their reads are correct, they can expect to make more money in the long run than a ""perfect"" player. So when I'm running poorly or feeling a bit off or distorted in my perception of things, I switch to ""perfect"" play. I only use a ""well-played"" approach when I'm in peak condition.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-9-2023 22:15:13 | Show all posts
Such profits make me extremely envious. How on earth did they achieve this?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-9-2023 22:30:04 | Show all posts
The profit results are also too impressive, it makes me extremely jealous.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-9-2023 23:09:30 | Show all posts
This method can be used effectively on your own, and it's also very good.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list