Reply: 2

Poker Strategy: Determine Whether to Bluff in 2 Minutes

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 22-9-2023 09:40:10 | Show all posts |Read mode
"""Without chicken-stealing, there's no poker ethics; chicken-stealing is a part of Texas Hold'em, and a player who never steals chickens is definitely not a good player.

Chicken-stealing is a skillful activity, and behind the flashy moves, it relies on accurate card reading, rigorous logic, and perfect planning.

So, the question arises: when should you steal chickens, and when should you not? Before answering this question, let's first understand what chicken-stealing means.

Chicken-stealing, also known as bluffing, refers to using bets to force stronger hands to fold. Bluffing can be categorized into pure bluffing and semi-bluffing, with the difference being that pure bluffing has no chance of winning once called, while semi-bluffing has some drawing possibilities even if called.

When you decide to bluff, you should ask yourself:

1. Does my hand have showdown value? For example, on a KT5 board, there's no showdown value, so you should consider bluffing. On the other hand, if you have AJ on a KT5 board, you have some showdown value, and you might win at showdown even if you miss your draw, so bluffing might not be necessary.

2. Which hands from my opponent's range am I trying to bluff? Bluffing on a KT5 board can usually make hands like 44 and A3 fold, and in some cases, it might even get rid of 65 or T9. However, trying to bluff a King is generally not advisable.

3. Can I represent a strong range? If you raised from an early position before the flop, you can represent a lot of strong hands on an AQ9 board, but it's challenging to represent strong hands on an 863 board.

4. Does my hand block my opponent's made hands and draws? Betting with KT of hearts on a J♥8♥3♣ board not only blocks top pairs like JT and KJ but also blocks straight and flush draws, making it a good bluff.

5. What is the texture of the board, dry or wet? In general, opponents are more likely to fold on a T♠4♥2♦ board than on a Q♦T♦7♠ board.

6. Is my play consistent with how I play strong hands? When you have a strong hand, your betting and bluffing should be consistent.

7. How do my opponent and I perceive each other? Generally, if your opponent is tight and you have a tight image, your fold equity (the likelihood of opponents folding) is higher.

8. How many players are in the pot? Typically, the more players in the pot, the lower the success rate of bluffing.

Now, another question arises: how do you double-barrel bluff? In the flop phase, prioritize hands with some winning potential, even if it's a backdoor draw, over complete air. This increases the chances of continuing to apply pressure on your opponents with consecutive bluffs.

In the turn phase, adapt to the developments and don't be overly aggressive. Poker strategy: decide whether to steal chickens in two minutes.

For example, in the flop phase, you bet with Q♠J♠ on a T♠6♦2♥ board and your opponent calls. In the turn phase, whether to bluff or not depends on several factors:

1. Does the turn card improve our chances of winning? Obviously, if the turn brings a 3♠, it's better for us than a 3♦, increasing our winning chances.

2. Does the turn card increase our opponent's folding probability? If the flop was T♠6♦2♥ and the turn is a 7, it usually strengthens your opponent's range and reduces their likelihood of folding. If the turn is a King, it usually weakens your opponent's range and increases their folding probability.

3. What if the turn card satisfies both conditions 1 and 2? It's a great bluffing card, such as a King or an Ace.

4. When facing a raise, do you have sufficient pot odds to call? In some turn situations, if your semi-bluff faces a raise and you don't have the necessary pot odds to call, folding may be the only option, making your semi-bluff no different from a pure bluff. In practice, it's best to avoid such situations.

Remember this phrase when deciding whether to steal chickens: 'Without chicken-stealing, there's no poker ethics.'""
"

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate member

Credits
Post time 22-9-2023 09:43:50 | Show all posts
It's a good idea to refer to other players' practical posts during your free time.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 22-9-2023 11:56:26 | Show all posts
It's still important to draw inspiration from everyone's real-game strategies.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list