Knoqnoq Forum: Everything You Want to Discuss, Most Discussed in India
Search
Reply: 6

Premier League overseas? Liverpool Chairman dreams of Tokyo and LA matches!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 26-6-2024 05:48:32 | Show all posts |Read mode
For a long time, there have been rumors in the Premier League about hosting official matches outside of England, aiming to expand their commercial footprint. However, this has consistently faced opposition, leading to its shelving until now. Recently, Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner has revived this topic, firmly stating that one day Liverpool will play Premier League matches outside of England!

Undoubtedly, the Premier League is currently the most watched football league, with its commercial achievements surpassing others. However, as the saying goes, businessmen never think there's too much money, so it's quite normal to want to expand their commercial footprint further. In recent years, Premier League teams have played preseason matches in the United States, which have been successful. As a result, some executives hope to hold some matches in the US to attract more fans. For instance, the former Premier League CEO, Scudamore, proposed holding a "39th round of Premier League matches" in the US, but it was quickly met with strong opposition.

The opposition mainly comes from local Premier League fans, who argue that most fans don't have the time or money to travel abroad to support their teams. Moreover, the Premier League is a domestic league, so there's no reason for overseas matches. Thus, the matter was shelved. However, this doesn't mean that those proposing it have given up. Recently, Liverpool Chairman Tom Werner expressed his determination to hold Premier League matches outside of England and Wales.

In an interview with the Financial Times, he said, "I am determined to one day hold a Premier League match in New York. I even have a crazy idea that one day we could play a match in Tokyo, then a few hours later play in Los Angeles, then a few hours later play in Rio de Janeiro, then a few hours later play in Riyadh, making it a day to celebrate football and the Premier League." Tom's idea is indeed very ambitious, but due to practical considerations, this vision is unlikely to be realized for now.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 26-6-2024 09:52:26 | Show all posts
Hosting Premier League matches abroad is indeed a good way to expand the commercial footprint, but the feelings of the fans must also be considered.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 26-6-2024 21:41:46 | Show all posts
This idea is indeed very crazy and will also make the players very tired with all the flying back and forth combined with training....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 26-6-2024 21:43:02 | Show all posts
I think finals and semi-finals can be considered for this, as they can increase viewership and revenue. However, regular matches should still be held at home and away venues locally.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 27-6-2024 04:45:42 | Show all posts
It's impossible to fly back and forth for matches within a day, right? Football matches require physical stamina, and a player's mental and physical endurance are crucial.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold membership

Credits
Post time 27-6-2024 04:46:52 | Show all posts
The commercialization of the English Premier League is arguably the best in the world, focusing on markets outside England and making it the most profitable football league globally. Even a relegated team can receive a share of one billion in broadcasting rights, which is unimaginable in other leagues. Italy, Spain, and France have taken steps ahead with proposals for overseas matches, particularly in the form of Super Cup games between league and cup champions held before the season starts. These games are not much different from friendly matches and do not affect team preparation significantly. However, playing league matches overseas seems somewhat crazy to me. With matches typically scheduled weekly, flying to places like New York or Tokyo would be time-consuming and cause jet lag, potentially harming players over a season. Especially in leagues like the Premier League, which already involves two domestic cups and no winter break, players are under more strain than teams in other leagues. Long flights on match days would increase the risk of injuries significantly, impacting team performance greatly. Therefore, I believe there's no real need for leagues to play matches in other countries. If profit is the aim, it's better to earn it through pre-season friendly matches, which are less intense for players. Even for financial gains, player health should be a top priority.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Forum Veteran

Credits
Post time 27-6-2024 07:38:59 | Show all posts
These Brits really dare to think big, don't they? If the English Premier League were organized in other countries, would it still be called the "Premier League"? I find their relentless pursuit of profit disgusting, despite the league being extremely entertaining to watch.

But there's no denying their strength. The Premier League is already the top league globally, and hosting matches in other countries could be a great opportunity. Previously, La Liga dominated world football with its iconic clubs, but now the Premier League is back, ushering in an era of diversity. Clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool, and Manchester City have achieved great success globally. As a Liverpool fan, I wish this policy had been implemented earlier so we could witness Klopp's brilliance. I'm also a fan of Salah and Mane.

The Brits truly know how to do business. However, with fortunes changing, today they dominate the Premier League, tomorrow, they could be in Serie A or La Liga. Expanding their league to other countries during this surge in popularity is a smart move to increase influence. Yet, I worry about the toll on players. Will constant travel create a series of injuries, adding to the fatigue already caused by the FIFA virus? This is something teams should consider carefully.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list